Re: binutils newer than 2.9.1

   Date: Mon, 07 Jun 1999 06:04:18 +0000
   From: Brendan Simon <brendan@dgs.monash.edu.au>

   Where can I find binutils releases that are newer version 2.9.1 ?

There are no official binutils releases newer than 2.9.1.  The CVS
binutils sources happen to report themselves as 2.9.4 currently, but
that is strictly an internal number.  There is no single 2.9.4
release.

   I read in one of Mumit Khan's cross-compiler howtos that 2.9.4 is
   recommended for building the cygwin32/mingw32 compilers.

The cygwin releases include binutils snapshots which have been tested
for cygwin.  Probably the latest cygwin release included a binutils
snapshot marked 2.9.4 (it's been 2.9.4 for a while).  But, again,
there is no single 2.9.4 release.

   The official binutils site (sourceware.cygnus.com as far as I am aware)
   has 2.9.1as the latest release.  This has been around for quite awhile
   and I'm sure there must have been further releases.  Has the site been
   kept up to date ?

The site is more or less up to date.

I'm afraid we are very far behind in actually making an official
release.  I still have a stack of patches and bug reports I need to
get through, although I have been making a little progress recently.

Ian