Re: Question about elf64-mips.c

   From: mark@codesourcery.com
   Date: Sat, 05 Jun 1999 17:33:30 -0700

   This file uses routines in elf32-mips.c.  That would seem to imply
   that you cannot configure bfd for just elf64-bigmips, say; you must
   also use elf32-bigmips, or some such.

Correct.

   Wouldn't it be better to move
   the common code to a header file and #include it both places?  Or,
   move it to a separate .c and use it from both elf32-mips.c and
   elf64-mips.c?

The latter would certainly be better than the former.  I personally
consider the extensive use of code in header files in BFD to be a bad
idea.

However, the cost of requiring 32 bit MIPS ELF support when
configuring for 64 bit MIPS ELF is not high.

   I'm also working on the N32/64-bit ABI support, and there will be a
   lot of common code there, too.

I don't think it's that important to make BFD be as minimal as
possible.  It's only important to make it small within reason.

If you feel like creating a common .c file, go ahead.  It would be
better, if only slightly better.  But don't feel obligated to do this
work.

Ian