Re: NLS fouls up current build

   From: Mark Mitchell <mark@codesourcery.com>
   Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 23:38:03 -0700

   I cannot build a freshly checked out binutils tree, hosted on
   x86-linux-gnu.  I have current versions of automake/autoconf/libtool
   installed.  I do:

     ./configure --target=mips-sgi-irix6.5 --enable-maintainer-mode
     make

   I get:

     make[3]: Leaving directory `/mnt/u2/mitchell/dev/cygnus-binutils/bfd/po'
     make[3]: Entering directory `/mnt/u2/mitchell/dev/cygnus-binutils/bfd/po'
     make[3]: *** No rule to make target `all-@USE_NLS@', needed by `all'.  Stop.

   Configuring with --disable-nls does not improve the situation in any
   way.  I don't get this when not configuring with
   --enable-maintainer-mode, but since I want to alter files in bfd that
   will cause the regeneration of bfd.h, etc., this is not a good
   situation either.

   What's going on?

I'd guess that your configure file got rebuilt with the wrong version
of gettext.  You need the Cygnus version.

In order to use --enable-maintainer-mode successfully, you need the
right versions of autoconf, automake, libtool, and gettext installed
in your PATH.  Version skew is a real problem.

I put a copy of the current Cygnus gettext sources up for FTP from
sourceware.cygnus.com in the binutils directory.

Ian