NLS fouls up current build

I cannot build a freshly checked out binutils tree, hosted on
x86-linux-gnu.  I have current versions of automake/autoconf/libtool
installed.  I do:

  ./configure --target=mips-sgi-irix6.5 --enable-maintainer-mode
  make

I get:

  make[3]: Leaving directory `/mnt/u2/mitchell/dev/cygnus-binutils/bfd/po'
  make[3]: Entering directory `/mnt/u2/mitchell/dev/cygnus-binutils/bfd/po'
  make[3]: *** No rule to make target `all-@USE_NLS@', needed by `all'.  Stop.

Configuring with --disable-nls does not improve the situation in any
way.  I don't get this when not configuring with
--enable-maintainer-mode, but since I want to alter files in bfd that
will cause the regeneration of bfd.h, etc., this is not a good
situation either.

What's going on?