ld testsuite failures for i386-linuxlibc1

Has anyone run a "make check" for a recent binutils on i386-linuxlibc1 ?

I'm getting some failures.  With egcs-2.93.19 (admittedly a little old), I
find:
  - The two "cdtest" checks run forever, and need to be killed.
  - ld/testsuite/ld-selective/3.cc bombs the compiler, which I'll report
    on the egcs bug list if the latest compiler does the same.
  - FAIL: shared (non PIC, load offset)
    tmpdir/shnp dies with a segmentation violation.

With gcc-2.7.2.3, I get:
  - testsuite/ld-selective/1.c fails with
      cc1: Invalid option `-ffunction-sections'
      cc1: Invalid option `-fdata-sections'
    for obvious reasons.  Maybe a gcc version check is in order here.
  - the same FAIL: shared (non PIC, load offset) seg violation.