Invalid Plabel on PA-RISC

I'm playing with gcj and have run into the following link time problem:

INVALID SYMBOL TYPE FOR PLABEL /libgcj.a(GregorianCalenda),
java::util::Calendar::setTimeZone(java::util::TimeZone *))

This is caused by referencing a plabel without the corresponding .import.

What's interesting is that this works OK in certain cases (all non gcj),
and only part of the time with gcj. I'm not sure if this is a gcj issue,
or a gas issue. I've had my had my hands mostly in the PA-RISC backend and
have had to spend virtually no time elsewhere in the compiler, so I don't
even know where to begin looking.

I would imagine that gas should be able to recognize the use of a plabel
and dummy up an .import if missing, but then again, I don't understand
why this fails only for gcj and not c, and g++?

Any clues would be well appreciated.

TIA,

--
Mark Klein                                 DIS International, Ltd.
http://www.dis.com                         415-892-8400