Re: version script not stripping .dynstr, only .dynsym

   Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 13:34:46 -0400
   From: Mike Shaver <shaver@mozilla.org>

   We use the simple version script at
   http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/source/build/unix/gnu-ld-scripts/components-version-script
   to reduce the size of our component shared libraries.  It
   manages to take references to all other symbols out of .dynsym, but
   doesn't do the same with .dynstr:

   Without script:
   .dynsym           387040    162560
   .dynstr          1231076    549600
   With script:
   .dynsym              5664      2624
   .dynstr           1231085      8288

   As you can see, we'd love to get rid of most of that .dynstr stuff as
   well, because it would be a major footprint savings.  (The above is for
   but a single library, albeit one of our largest ones.)

   Before I report it as a bug (via bug-gnu-utils@gnu.org, right?), I'd
   just like to confirm that I'm not doing something wrong here.

This does look rather suspicious.  I suspect it is a bug.  You don't
need to report the bug to bug-gnu-utils as well; mentioning it here is
enough.

If you can provide a small complete test case, that might help.
However, it will probably suffice if the above link does not disappear
before the bug is fixed.

Ian