version script not stripping .dynstr, only .dynsym

We use the simple version script at
http://lxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/source/build/unix/gnu-ld-scripts/components-version-script
to reduce the size of our component shared libraries.  It
manages to take references to all other symbols out of .dynsym, but
doesn't do the same with .dynstr:

Without script:
.dynsym           387040    162560
.dynstr          1231076    549600
With script:
.dynsym              5664      2624
.dynstr           1231085      8288

As you can see, we'd love to get rid of most of that .dynstr stuff as
well, because it would be a major footprint savings.  (The above is for
but a single library, albeit one of our largest ones.)

Before I report it as a bug (via bug-gnu-utils@gnu.org, right?), I'd
just like to confirm that I'm not doing something wrong here.

[shaver@zamboni:build]$ ld -v
GNU ld version 2.9.1 (with BFD 2.9.1.0.22)

Mike

--
154274.29 144040.21