Re: bfd assertion fail elflink.h:1566 : Please help me!

   Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 05:59:45 -0700
   From: "   " <biedie@my-Deja.com>

   I have currently installed gcc 2.95.1 and binutils 2.9.5.0.14.
   My system is solaris2.6. I get the following warning/error:

   /some_dir/sparc-sun-solaris2.6/bin/ld: bfd assertion fail elflink.h:1566

   I discovered that this error occurs when linking with the pthread or
   thread-libarary of sun. These libraries are updated with the latest
   patches. I also installed the same versions of gcc and binutils for
   solaris2.5 and there the problem does NOT occur.

   Does anybody has a clue? Do I something wrong? Am I using an buggy tool
   where I am not aware of? Can it be a bug in bfd (binutils)?

Based on the assert which is failing, it's almost certainly a bug in
the binutils.  I don't know whether it is serious or not.

If you can provide a complete test case, perhaps I will take a look at
it at some point.  A complete test case would be a complete set of .o,
.a, and .so files which I can pass to the linker to recreate the
problem.  I do not have access to a Solaris system.

You can debug it yourself a bit by setting a breakpoint on _bfd_assert
and examining the contents of hi to see why the assert is failing.

Ian