linux-overhaul

Ben, what's the linux-overhaul branch for?  (I must have missed some
discussion.)  Is it for redoing the linux part of config.guess to be more
sane/faster, or will it produce different output.

I mentioned a few weeks ago my need to have more information on the output
of config.guess for linux systems, and suggested a new switch to
config.guess that provides that information.  Some applications, like amd
(part of the am-utils package) are sensitive to kernel and system
internals.  I distribute a "buildall" script with am-utils, which creates a
subdirectory called A.`config.guess` and then uses it to shadow-build am-utils.
That way I can unpack one source distribution and run multiple builds on
different machines.  For linux systems, it is important that the builds
identify the exact system in question.  Config.guess doesn't distinguish
among glibc versions, kernel versions, or linux distributions.  So what I
did is write a simple wrapper script that calls config.guess, and based on
its output, it provides an extended format of the config.guess output.  For
example, instead of printing

	i586-pc-linux-gnu

it prints

	i586-pc-linux2.2.5-gnu-glibc2.1

I use that extended form to create a shadow build dir.  This way I avoid
problems associated with building am-utils on one system that reports itself
as "i586-pc-linux-gnu' and installing the binaries (or just recompiling with
an existing config.cache) on another linux system that reports itself the
same.  The other system may have a different glibc and glibc headers, and a
different kernel and its headers.

Erez.