Q: mutlithreaded tracees && clone/exit

Hello.

In case this matters, I used gdb-7.1 for testing.

Q1: if gsbstub reported that the tracee has exited (say, we sent
'$X09#..' to gdb), can gsbstub assume it can forget about this thread?
I mean, can it assume that gdb won't send something like 'D;EXITED_PID'?
Or it should keep the info connected to the exited thread until the
explicit detach request? Or may be we should keep some info just to

Looking at gdb sources/behaviour, I think the answer is yes, it can
forget. But I'd like to have the confirmation.

And. I'd like to let you know that gdb is buggy ;) But it is not very
easy to explain the bug because I don't know the terminology. Let's
consider this particular example:

	(gdb) target extended-remote whatever
	(gdb) attach PID
	(gdb) c

Now gdb sleeps in sys_read/sys_recvfrom.

The user presses ^C, gdb sends 3 and waits for reply. Suppose that
gdbstub doesn't reply immediately.

The user presses ^C again and acks the "Give up (and stop debugging it)?"
question.

gdb does remote_close()->discard_all_inferiors()->...->exit_inferior_1().
Surprisingly, exit_inferior_1() does not remove this thread from
inferior_list but clears inf->pid.

This means that the subsequent find_inferior_pid() fails and returns NULL,
and gdb segfaults if the user does, say,

	(gdb) detach

after that.

I noticed this bug when I found another problem, gdb+gdbserver doesn't
work correctly if the main thread  exits. But let's forget about this
problem for now.

The main question is, I do not understand how gdbstub should handle the
multithreaded targets.

Trivial testcase:

	void *tfunc(void *arg)
	{
		getchar();
		return NULL;
	}

	int main(int argc, const char *argv[])
	{
		pthread_t thr;

		printf("PID=%d\n", getpid());

		pthread_create(&thr, NULL, tfunc, NULL);

		for (;;)
			pause();

		return 0;
	}

Gdbserver:

	gdbserver --multi :2000

gdb:

	(gdb) file test1
	(gdb) target extended-remote :2000
	(gdb) attach 16927
	Attached to process 16927
	0x00000033af60e57d in pause () from /lib64/libpthread.so.0
	(gdb)

OK. gdbserver ptraces both threads. But afaics gdb doesn't now this
program is multithreaded, and strace shows that gdb doesn't send
qfThreadInfo request.

Q2: Shouldn't gdbstub let debugger know about sub-threads somehow?

Let'c continue:

	(gdb) c
	Continuing.

gdbserver resumes both threads. Press enter, the sub-thread exits.

And nothing happens! gdbserver sends nothing to gdb, it just reaps
the tracee silently:

	rt_sigsuspend([])                       = ? ERESTARTNOHAND (To be restarted)
	--- SIGCHLD (Child exited) @ 0 (0) ---
	rt_sigreturn(0x11)                      = -1 EINTR (Interrupted system call)
	wait4(-1, 0x7fff2c719fbc, WNOHANG, NULL) = 0
	wait4(-1, [{WIFEXITED(s) && WEXITSTATUS(s) == 0}], WNOHANG|__WCLONE, NULL) = 16928
	rt_sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, [], NULL, 8) = 0
	rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, ~[RTMIN RT_1], [], 8) = 0
	wait4(-1, 0x7fff2c719fbc, WNOHANG, NULL) = 0
	wait4(-1, 0x7fff2c719fbc, WNOHANG|__WCLONE, NULL) = -1 ECHILD (No child processes)
	rt_sigsuspend([]

Q3: is it correct? shouldn't we inform the debugger?

So. Afaics, gdb can only find the new thread if the user does
"info threads", or if this thread reports somehow about itself
(say, it gets a signal and gdbserver sends "$T..." with its tid).

Also. gdb can't know the sub-thread has exited unless the user
does "info threads" again, or something like "$TpPID.TGID" gets
"E01" in reply.

Correct?

Q4: is this what we want to implement?

I am asking because that I thought that gdb+gdbserver should
try to work the same way as it works without gdbserver, and
thus it should see clone/exit.

However, gdbserver sends nothing to gdb if the tracee does
pthread_create() or pthread_exit().

Oleg.