Re: catch-syscall and XML - Initial thoughts

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 03:05:22PM -0200, Sérgio Durigan Júnior wrote:
> 2) Location of this file
>
> This is a question that I've been wondering for a while. I think that
> the correct location would be in a new gdb/syscalls directory, where
> we'd put the XML files for each supported architecture. A guy (I don't
> remember who) at #gdb asked me to put the files outside gdb/, in a
> directory called libsyscall. I don't think that's a good idea (at least
> for now) because I'm not aiming to extend this patch to a library.

Where it goes in the source tree is not what I'm worried about - I'm
more wondering where it goes in the install tree.  For a
multi-architecture GDB, how do we know which file to load?

> 3) Syntax
>
> Since Daniel said that it'd be good to be able to extend this feature to
> support syscalls arguments and types, I think this syntax would be
> convenient:
>
> <syscall number="1" name="foo">
> 	<arg name="arg_name" number="0" type="arg_type"/>
> 	<arg name="arg_name" number="n" type="arg_type"/>
> </syscall>
>
> Initially the catch-syscall feature would only use the syscall name and
> number info, but of course in a future not so distant we'd start using
> the args info.

Stick to <syscall number="1" name="foo"/> for now, include a DTD in
the directory of syscalls, and extend it later.  That's what I'd
suggest.  No need to plan things we aren't going to implement... as
long as we design so that there's a logical extension mechanism.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery