Re: pretty-printing update

On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 04:20:17PM +0200, André Pönitz wrote:
> Urm... I have the feeling this is going to place too much of the
> 'business logic' that decides what to print, to what detail and
> in what format on the gdb side, leading to a generic solution
> that will not scale well to different, possibly even structurally
> different  'output consumers'. [1]

I think that generating any output in a consumer-provided format would
be a mistake.  When you have issues like your [1], you need to talk to
the GDB developers about them and work out some better way to solve
the problem - and then it will benefit all consumers.

Sorry for coming down on you about this; it's not directed just at
you, but at most front end developers.  Don't work around GDB!  Tell
GDB what you need, instead, and work with it.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery